List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts and Loading Time
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-12-18 20:27:06

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 15:24, Grant Bartlett wrote:
[...]
|  The problem I am experiening now is that the loading of most KDE apps
|  takes an _unbelievable_ amount of time @ 100% CPU usage, and after a bit
|  of playing around it seems to relate to the number of fonts.
|
|  Surely this is a bug? What's happening every time a KDE application
|  boots? The font list being regenerated or something. Is this a Qt issues
|  and/or being addressed?

FontConfig (http://fontconfig.org) has permanent-like cache for fonts.
Besides, every minute (can be changed) it checks font folders (defined in
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf) to see wether there are some new fonts added.

So, when you use Qt 3.1 and KDE 3.1, and both are compiled with FontConfig
support, font lists are not regenerated on startup of every application (like
it was in KDE 3.0.x)

I currently run XFree86 4.2.99 (CVS snapshot), Qt 3.1, KDE 3.1-RC5, and apps
start *faster* (comparing to KDE 3.1-beta2, QT 3.0.5)

Hope this helps!

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released