List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE: Usage, statistics, metrics, etc
From:       Sebastian Voitzsch <sebastian.voitzsch () web ! de>
Date:       2002-12-17 10:47:01

Am Dienstag, 17. Dezember 2002 11:31 schrieb Rob Kaper:
> <snip>
> Yes, but I am not sure how useful it would be. It seems like a lot of
> overhead with a lot of frownes and worries about privacy. Even if we
> implement it open, off by default, with twenty "are you sure" mechanisms in
> place, press will just pick up "KDE sends system data to Tuebingen".

Full ACK. Remember the discussion about the 3.1 release delay and the "KDE
follows M$ in risking security just for comfort".

> That said, I love statistics, so sure, I'm all for it! ;) Just not sure if
> I'd like to see a kded_statscollector module in the *main* KDE tree.

;O)

> > - possible implementations (esp of the collection mechanism)
>
> I suppose that *if* you want to keep stats, a kded module is the best
> place. kbuildsycoca, kdeinit, kdesktop or kded already keep a list of most
> frequently used apps somewhere, so it's technically feasible.
>
> Is it worth the hassle? I don't think so, personally. If usage statistics
> would mean anything, Noatun/Kaboodle would've been replaced by XMMS with
> arts_output and some KDE-looking skin a long time ago. But by keeping those
> apps maintained, there have slowly but steadily improved to a point where
> they offer me (and others hopefully) more than XMMS, not less.

Don't think it's worth it. KDE as an open procject already has some kind of
"statistics" just by offering many lists, newsgroups and bugreport/whishlist
sites. Just querying those databases should give you enough information about
what's needed and what's not. And if somebody would like to make a suggestion
about needed features or something like that one will find enough addresses
from the whole KDE team or special developers to send whishes to. Last not
least, think many developers (if not all) are present in one or more
user-related groups or forums and will recognize the opinions of users
regarding their pet projects.

Cheers,
Sebastian

--