List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: Drop aKtion from KDE kdemultimedia package
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-12-17 10:14:10

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:20:09AM -0300, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> > On 22:05, luned́ 16 dicembre 2002, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote this
> > piece Definately. There's a mplayer plugin for mozilla out there, I
> > can't get it to work with KDE though. I wonder how hard getting mplayer
> > into a KPart would be.
>
> please read my previous posts

I suggest those who are interested work on a mplayer KPart start working on
it, possibly using whatever is out there already such as KumaPlayer.

I also suggest Aktion is not removed from KDE, or considered to be removed,
until such a KPart is done and all video codecs Aktion currently supports
(including some of the older ones, for which it remains useful) are
supported by Kaboodle/Noatun/KMediaEngine, at which point it might make
sense to add a Aktion GUI plugin for Noatun.

I agree that xanim is an outdated engine/player, but let's have a working
alternative with all the same features and more before suggesting removing
applications from CVS.

Same for the upcoming "replace Kit with Kopete" discussion: I'd welcome
Kopete in kdenetwork but not at the expense of Kit. Especially since there
is no overlap anymore, Kit is using the documented and open TOC protocol
where Kopete is going to drop support for that, in favor of the proprietary
OSCAR.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much