List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: Drop aKtion from KDE kdemultimedia package
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-12-16 23:41:51

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Monday December 16, 2002 03:10, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
>> arts uses mpeglib. That's it [by default]. Please compare to this page:
>> http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html
>
> And now we at least expose your (willful?) ignorance matter.  aRts uses
> whatever playobject you have installed, it is not tied to mpeglib at all.
> And now that xine_artsplugin is in KDE 3.1, we're actually turning off the
> mpeglib video playobject.

aktion does not use arts. It uses xanim and artsdsp. Replacing aktion with
kaboodle and arts+xine is fine.

I indicated this in the first mail in this thread:
" While xanim was nice and unique a
few years back, it is now almost useless compared to videoplayers like
aviplay, _xine_ and especially mplayer"

> And if the only thing mplayer does that xine doesn't is proprietary codecs
> on i386 only, then the thing is not appropriate for KDE to depend upon.

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses! mplayer can play almost all files and
it can use realplayer, quicktime, mediaplayer(1-9) and avi dlls on i386. It
can also use the xanim codecs which are available on more platforms. It can
play mpeg4 files using lavc on all platforms. It even works in cygwin!

xine, btw also uses windows dlls, as you can read here:
http://xine.sourceforge.net/index.php?resource=2&action=default

You may have the last word now...

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net wiss. Mitarbeiter, IMGB
        La loi, dans un grand souci d'égalité, interdit aux riches comme aux