List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: Drop aKtion from KDE kdemultimedia package
From:       David Bishop <tech () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2002-12-16 23:13:30

On Monday 16 December 2002 03:58 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Monday December 16, 2002 02:44, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
> > Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > Quality standards, such as?
> >
> > Such as features, speed, stability, compatibility with modern file
> > formats, using hardware acceleration,...
>
> For features, I hope you can point to unfulfilled wishlist reports.

I doubt he can, as if I asked aktion to support mpeg4, it should rightfully be
closed.  It isn't aktion's place to add features to xanim, which is where
every feature that Moritz listed would go.  I dont' believe anything that he
listed off was directed at Aktion (though I could be wrong), but at xanim.

> For compatibility and file formats, are you aware that xanim is a modular
> player, and supports whatever you installed plugins for?

But not if the plugins aren't available.  Like, for instance, for divx in it's
multitude of flavors, mpeg4, quicktime, mpeg2 (unless that's changed very
recently), and others.  I.e., almost everything that you will find on the
'net, or anywhere else.

> Also, are you certain that our replacement of xine/arts/kaboodle supports
> every format xanim supports?

Yes.  Specifically, that's why xine has been pushed so hard as a replacement.
They seem to be in a war with the mplayer team to see who can support the
most file formats.  So far, the user's are winning :-)

> > > Limitations, such as?
> >
> > Being able to play only ancient video codecs mainly.
>
> And people who want other codecs can use kaboodle.  Why does that make
> aktion worthy of removal?  It still *works* for those old codecs, does it
> not?

But if it only supplies a subset of features available elsewhere, and takes up
room in cvs, and doesn't have an active maintainer (I presume this soley
because the question didn't seem to be directed at anyone in particular), and
doesn't fulfill any need not fulfilled elsewhere, why keep it? (<-not a
hypothetical question).

Of course, all of this is based on kaboodle being a full-fledged front-end to
xine in 3.2.  It's my impression that it is (at this point), not?  I don't
mean to be ignorant on that point, but I find myself a creature of habit, and
use mplayer exclusively from the command-line.  I have not delved deeply into
the land of front-ends, using mainly the backends directly (xanim, xine, and
mplayer).

--
D.A.Bishop