List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: Drop aKtion from KDE kdemultimedia package
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-12-16 23:10:48

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Monday December 16, 2002 02:44, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
>> Neil Stevens wrote:

> For features, I hope you can point to unfulfilled wishlist reports.

aktion is not the right address for xanim bug reports/wishes.

> For compatibility and file formats, are you aware that xanim is a modular
> player, and supports whatever you installed plugins for?

"XAnim 2.80.1 was released on 21Mar99. Wow, that was a long time ago :( "

http://xanim.va.pubnix.com/xa_unsupported.html
Basically most modern codecs, including mpeg4 are not supported.

The last codec was added in march of 1999!

> Also, are you certain that our replacement of xine/arts/kaboodle supports
> every format xanim supports?

No. But mplayer does, see below.

> And people who want other codecs can use kaboodle.  Why does that make
> aktion worthy of removal?  It still *works* for those old codecs, does it
> not?

Mplayer will use any xanim codec you have installed. In addition to all the
modern codecs. So you lose nothing by using it. Except for the KDE gui,
which as you can see in this thread is being created.

>> Now you are showing ignorance. Both kaboodle and noatun just use the
>> same arts mechanisms for playing, so they are identical except for the
>> GUI.

> If you know that, why are you making false accusations about what kaboodle
> can and cannot play?

arts uses mpeglib. That's it [by default]. Please compare to this page:
http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net wiss. Mitarbeiter, IMGB
        La loi, dans un grand souci d'égalité, interdit aux riches comme aux