List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: Drop aKtion from KDE kdemultimedia package
From:       Luis Pedro Coelho <luis_pedro () netcabo ! pt>
Date:       2002-12-16 19:57:20

Em Segunda, 16 de Dezembro de 2002 20:05, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett escreveu:
> > Does mplayer cooperate well with arts?  Is it portable?  For xine, which
> > we already use in KDE 3.1, the answer is yes for the second question at
> > least.
>
> Mplayer can play virtually any video, and even windows media 9 and sorenson
> trhough windows dll's
> AFAIK it works in Linux, BSDs and Solaris, of course some of the thousand
> of both video and audio drivers are OS specific, others not.

The problem is that windows' DLL it are not processor portable, ie. only x86.

This only means, however, that users on other platforms will not be able to
play certain files. Normally these users will not be able to play the files
in any other way, either. Where sensible (depending on settings), mplayer
uses native open-source libraries and a lot of files can be played that way.

If Duncan's brother uploads his version of the kde gui, I will certainly try
it and use it, too (I find that the current mplayer gui is a bit clumsy).

HTH,
--
Luis Pedro Coelho

check out my game of hearts for the KDE at

http://hearts.sf.net