List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: Drop aKtion from KDE kdemultimedia package
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-16 18:07:42

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Monday December 16, 2002 04:05, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
>
>> IMHO aktion is not up to KDE's standards and should be moved to kdeextragear-x or
>> something.
>

> Which standards?  Did you file bug reports, or contact its maintainer at all?  Are you on the
> kde-multimedia list, seeing the proposal I already made for the app?

I believe that the fact that it is a wrapper for an obsolete media player: "Xanim" is the reason
for it not being 'up to standard'.

>> Reason: aktion is just a wrapper to xanim. While xanim was nice and unique a few years
>> back, it is now almost useless compared to videoplayers like aviplay, xine and especially
>> mplayer [which btw needs a qt/kde based GUI...].
>

> So what if it's not unique?  If it was useful for people before, it can be useful now.  You
> admit that the your preferred player lacks a KDE UI, after all.  (Have you even tried the
> other video player in KDE 3.1?)

I find that AVIplay (AVIfile) worked well, but it was still only Beta until recently -- and now
I have managed to break it when I installed the latest version.

>> So I think aktion ATM only serves to confuse newbies, who try to play avi and quicktime
>> files with it only to discover that xanim/aktion is slow and doesn't support any codec
>> newer than 5 years.
>

> How many times have you been told by users that it's confusing?

I haven't counted but it causes a lot of confusion with CrossOver.

> I'd be surprised at this, since aKtion is practically hidden in the K menu today.

But it is installed as the first plugin for various MIME types that it WILL NOT PLAY!

> Anyway, on to what I already proposed and put in the 3.2 feature plan:  My suspicion is that
> Kaboodle + xine_artsplugin already serve as a superior replacement to aKtion, but I'm not
> sure, not being a user of aKtion

The problem that needs to be solved is that KDE (as installed) tries to play various multimedia
files with aKtion even if it won't play them and even if other applications that will play them
are installed.  If that problem cannot be solved, I suggest that it should be removed.

--
JRT