List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Testers wanted for kdenonbeta/konstruct
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-15 5:32:01

Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 December 2002 02:04, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>

>>The major problem for most people remains: you need to install a lot of
>>libraries to install KDE from source -- or if you have installed the
>>libraries with RPMs, you need to install a lot of 'devel' packages to build
>

> Dirk already suggested this too: A simple distribution detection (as simple as
> checking for e.g. /etc/SuSE-release and content) and querying rpm/apt/portage
> about installed packages which required/recommended/optional packages are not
> installed and displaying the result. The lists could of course only work with
> much user contribution and could not be maintained by a single person. :-)

First before you do anything about installing these packages, you need to determine if they are
installed.  This should be possible by first determining if the system used RPM and (if so) then
asking RPM if the packages were installed.  If not RPM then you would need to switch to a Debian
mode and try that.

Obscure problem.  With Kpackage it is possible to use both RPM and DPKG.  This could be a real
problem.  I have it set up to use both, but all I installed from Debian packages is WordPerfect
Office 2000 for Linux and WordPerfect 8.1 for linux.

PROBLEM: Every distro does not use the same names for all packages however it appears that there
are usually only two or three different names in use.  So there would be a short list for
quires with RPM.

Then this should fall back to asking LD.SO if the libraries are installed.  Then from the prefix
you got from LD.SO, you could look for the needed header files.

Then this should fall back to asking the user if he installed it.

--
JRT