List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Testers wanted for kdenonbeta/konstruct
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-15 5:32:01

Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 December 2002 02:04, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>

> > The major problem for most people remains: you need to install a lot of
> > libraries to install KDE from source -- or if you have installed the
> > libraries with RPMs, you need to install a lot of 'devel' packages to \
> > build
>

> Dirk already suggested this too: A simple distribution detection (as \
> simple as checking for e.g. /etc/SuSE-release and content) and querying \
> rpm/apt/portage about installed packages which \
> required/recommended/optional packages are not installed and displaying \
> the result. The lists could of course only work with much user \
> contribution and could not be maintained by a single person. :-)

First before you do anything about installing these packages, you need to \
determine if they are installed.  This should be possible by first \
determining if the system used RPM and (if so) then asking RPM if the \
packages were installed.  If not RPM then you would need to switch to a \
Debian mode and try that.

Obscure problem.  With Kpackage it is possible to use both RPM and DPKG.  \
This could be a real problem.  I have it set up to use both, but all I \
installed from Debian packages is WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux and \
WordPerfect 8.1 for linux.

PROBLEM: Every distro does not use the same names for all packages however \
it appears that there are usually only two or three different names in use. \
So there would be a short list for quires with RPM.

Then this should fall back to asking LD.SO if the libraries are installed.  \
Then from the prefix you got from LD.SO, you could look for the needed \
header files.

Then this should fall back to asking the user if he installed it.

--
JRT