List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: building qt-copy and kde in a seperate tree
From:       Andrew <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-12-11 7:16:51

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 07:25 pm, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> cvs checkout kdelibs
> mkdir kdelibs-obj
> cd kdelibs
> make -f Makefile.cvs
> cd ../kdelibs-obj
> ../kdelibs/configure --myoptions
> make
>
> since configure is called with a relative path, it builds all it's files
> relative to the cwd (ie, kdelibs-obj) but with the source from the dir the
> script is in.

That sounds good, a nice elegant approach that should work with most compiles
since they usually address other folders in the source tree relatively.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying about symlinks with the xfree
method and I called them 'virtual' links for that reason. When that method
fails the error message complains of too many symlinks but of course only one
real one was ever created. I think it is somehow caused by the fact that all
the files in the build dir. have that initial symlink in their path so if a
100 files are open then there are 100 momentary 'virtual' symlinks.

I am only speculating here though based on the error message that gets thrown
up in such a case. Your method is much cleaner though and is a lot less like
"tricking" the OS than the symlnk method so I would recommend it just on
those grounds.

--
Regards,
andrew