List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Testers wanted for kdenonbeta/konstruct
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-11 1:04:09

Stephan Binner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> "Konstruct" is a build toolset for installing KDE 3.1rc5 plus atm \
> KOffice, KDevelop and Quanta from the released source tarballs. It \
> downloads, con- figure, compiles and installs them with a single "make \
> install" command.
> (probably a temporary location) or you can get it from CVS with this \
> line:
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde co \
> kdenonbeta/konstruct
> I'm interested to hear opinions about "Konstruct" and which bugs it has.

It appears to me that this addresses mostly the simple part of installing \
from source.

The hard part is installing all the necessary libraries and making sure \
that the configure  scripts find all of them.  In regard to the second \
question: this has improved, the current  install scripts are able to find \
(on my system) everything except for Java (and the PNG  problem).  The \
major problem for most people remains: you need to install a lot of \
libraries to  install KDE from source -- or if you have installed the \
libraries with RPMs, you need to install  a lot of 'devel' packages to \
build it.

--
JRT