List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec
Date:       2002-12-10 16:55:29

> >> Instead of providing a broken fix, let's fix what's really broken
> >>
> > And yes it is 'broken' because it only works with KDE applications.
>
> Than maybe we should chdir into it before launching apps via kdeinit... that
> would get nearly all older apps to start in that dir.

1. This doesn't fix all apps.  Some apps have $HOME hardcoded, no matter what
the cwd is.

2. This is exactly the braindead fix that shouldn't happen.  That behavior is
there for a reason.  Some apps will silently fail because they will expect the
cwd to be $HOME.  Some others will bork odd messages.  As a matter of
principle, providing this "workaround" is wrong.

Instead of trying to fit the square peg in the round hole, let's manufacture a
round peg.