List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: building qt-copy and kde in a seperate tree
From:       Sebastian Voitzsch <Sebastian.Voitzsch () web ! de>
Date:       2002-12-05 22:04:03

Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2002 22:00 schrieb Nick Brown:
> The webpage you point to assumes QT is compiled in the place it will
> reside, but this not compulsory. I'm trying to it differently from how it
> is "suggested" there. I want 3 seperate trees, as is often used with GNU
> software.
Huh?! 3 trees? You also posted you want to include only one direcotry in your
path. How is that supposed to work? Either install (at least all libraries)
in one directory and add that to your (library-)path or install each library
in a different path and include both of them. Or install QT, kdelibs and apps
in different dirs and include them all (what for?!). Other things may not
work.

Anyway, QT maybe compiled with a "--prefix" option. The QTDIR, PATH, MANPATH
etc. setting is mandatory BEFORE the compiling process (as QT uses them
during compilation process). Once compiled, do a "make install" to install it
in the directory you configured it with, and set the path apropriate to your
needs / your --prefix-argument.

> The export (which does not make things available to others, only to child
> processes) lines are only for the configure/build/install process. When I'm
well, I know that...sometimes when you don´t know whom you´re talking to you
make a simplification...

> finished and ready to use it I'll fix up my profile so I can use it.
> It's only the configure/build/install process I have problem with.
know that too. But setting the exports once before all following
compilation/configuration/installation tasks is enough (at least, as long as
you do everything within the same shell, ofcourse). The only exception is the
QT, when you decide to give it a "prefix" option, you have to point QTDIR to
the installation directory - after the build.

Sebastian

PS: Is there any special reason for you to break the recommendations even if
it seems you´re not exactly knowing what you´re doing? Just my 2ct