List:       kde-devel
Subject:    building qt-copy and kde in a seperate tree
From:       Nick Brown <nicbrown () cisco ! com>
Date:       2002-12-05 20:15:22

I'm interested working on KDE. I'm however not familar with how QTDIR
(or KDEDIR, though I think this can be ignored) interacts with
configuring/building/installing QT/KDE.
I'm trying to build in a different tree from the source.
I've got a copy of the kde source in ~/kde/kde-sources and would like to
built everything in ~/kde/kde-build and install it into
~/kde/kde-install.
But QT/KDE seem to be a little different from other GNU software in that
it need envronmental variables set to configure/build/install it.
Basically I'm not sure what to set QTDIR, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH at
the various stages in the process.

My intention is that when I'm finished I need only at
~/kde/kde-install/bin to my PATH and ~/kde/kde-install/lib to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and set a new KDEHOME) to use the new KDE and QT.

Below is someting like the intended process I'd like to follow.
I don't know if the various export commands are need at all of the
locations I've inserted them, but could someone fill in the values at
the locations at which they are needed?

Any help is much appricated.

cd
mkdir kde
cd kde
mkdir kde-build
mkdir kde-install
mkdir kde-sources
cd kde-sources
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde
cvs login
cvs co .
cd ../kde-build
mkdir qt-copy
cd qt-copy

export QTDIR=
export PATH=
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

../../kde-sources/qt-copy/configure -system-zlib -qt-gif -system-libpng
-system-libjpeg -plugin-imgfmt-mng -thread -no-stl -no-exceptions -debug
-prefix ~/kde/kde-install

export QTDIR=
export PATH=
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

make

export QTDIR=
export PATH=
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

make install

export QTDIR=
export PATH=
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

cd ../../kde-sources/arts
make -f Makefile.cvs
cd ../../kde-build
mkdir arts
cd arts
../../kde-sources/arts/configure --prefix="~/kde/kde-install"
make
make install
cd ../../kde-sources/kdelibs
make -f Makefile.cvs
cd ../../kde-build
mkdir kdelibs
cd kdelibs
../../kde-sources/kdelibs/configure --prefix="~/kde/kde-install"
make
make install
cd ../../kde-sources/kdebase
make -f Makefile.cvs
cd ../../kde-build
mkdir kdebase
cd kdebase
../../kde-sources/kdebase/configure --prefix="~/kde/kde-install"
make
make install

thanks,
Nick