List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-04 9:42:17

Manuel Amador wrote:
>>You say that you have files stored in folders in you home directory.
>>Wouldn't it be just as convenient to have them in a Desktop object --
>>call it 'file cabinet'.  You take folders or files out of the file
>>cabinet while you are using them and then put them away when you are
>>done with them.
>
> We could but why?  Two more operations for the user.  might as well go
> straight towards the goal (working with data).

Well, when I am working on something at my REAL desk, I leave it out
while I am working on it rather than have to look through my filing
cabinet for it each time I want to use it again.

The purpose of leaving a file that you are currently working on out on
the computer desktop is: (1) so you will remember that you are supposed
to do it, (2) so you don't have to go looking for it in a folder with
100s of files every time you want to use it.

Perhaps you work on things at only one siting.  But that isn't the way
many people work.  If you were writing a HOWTO (for example) would you
do it all at one siting or would you keep doing work on it a little at a
time till you finished it?  If so, you would leave it on the desktop
till it was finished and then file it away.  It is the same way for me
with business letters.  I write a first draft and leave it on the
desktop and only after I have written the final draft and printed it do
I file it away.  If you don't work that way, this is not mandatory, but
many people DO work that way.

--
JRT