List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Gary Greene <rei () tabris ! net>
Date:       2002-12-03 18:07:55

I've been watching this discussion for a while now and have but only a few
caveats to point out:

In concern to moving desktop==$HOME. I point you to Windows 2000/XP for just a
moment If I can... M$ has the following filesystem (with the proper UNIX
equivalants baside the chart)

    Windows XP                            Sentinel Linux
    C:\                                   /
    |---\Documents and Settings           |----/home
    |   |----\greeneg                     |    |----/greeneg
    |        |----\Desktop                |         |----/Desktop
    |        |----\My Documents           |         |----/Documents

As you can see, the current method holds true across both platforms. The
arguenment of the Mac Desktop is even further the point (OS X):

    Machintosh OS X                       Sentinel Linux
    /                                     /
    |----/users                           |----/home
    |    |----/greeneg                    |    |----/greeneg
    |         |----/Desktop               |         |----/Destop

Hmmm.... I'm starting to see a pattern here....

If the user cannot figure out where things are on their computer, IT'S THEIR
OWN FAULT. We shouldn't be dictating policy to fix lack of computer skill.
Moving Desktop to $HOME would only further impare what the two are: the
desktop is the place where application links are for fast loading, the $HOME
directory is the place all your settings and document files are put. With
your argument, I'd be seeing my Mail folder on my desktop (along with ~/tmp,
~/public_html, ~/bin, ~/lib.) Because dispite what you may think,
peroidically, I blow away my .kde dir to see the changes that have come down
the pipe. If this change got adopted, I'd be the one UNDOING it in the
packaging phase of KDE for Sentinel Linux, meaning more work for me (yeah :|
).

Remember people companies, like Microsoft and Apple, have spent a great deal
of money on their usability studies, why not pay attention to them instead of
breaking them. As you can see from the diagram I made above, the systems are
laid out similarly enough to warrent them being easy to navigate.

- --
Gary Greene

Sent from seele.gvsu.edu
 12:18:28  up 10 days, 10:44,  7 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.38, 0.27

Founder and president of GVLUG.
Chief Systems Architect, S4, Inc. - OS Department.
 -=<http://www.s4linux.com/>=-
Project Lead for the Sentinel Linux 2003 OS Project (KOMODO)
Chairman and Project Lead of the E-media Committee of AltReal.
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : rei@tabris.net
        greeneg@student.gvsu.edu

- --Developing a emotion daemon for the Human OS

Here's the error:

#mounting local filesystems....................................[     OK     ]
#Virtual Human Brain Driver v0.0.5 (EXPERIMENTAL) R/W fs module
#Virtual Nerve Node Driver v0.4.1 (EXPERIMENTAL) R/W FS module
#Insmod Adaptive Technology Device module......................[     OK     ]
#Writing Sync state to Journalled VHBFS........................[     OK     ]
Segmentation Fault:sending signal 11 SegEV