Well, the discussion is huge, and so, I feel I should summarize most of what has been said FOR sharing Desktop and home directory - I won't summarize what's been said against because I'm a human, and I'm biased. The proposal is to: * make the default desktop directory for new users equal to the home directory. * make the default documents directory for new users equal to the home directory What this proposal is not: * change current users' way of work * force everyone to eat the homedir as desktop with salt and pepper * force everyone to sort their own mess (I have mine, and I like it a mess, many thanks =) Points for: - quicker access to data for users (*either* directly on the desktop or with the "Home" icon in kicker). - easier to understand for newbies: Currently, they save a file in any application and they instantly see it appear, bringing a sense of tranquility and control. Currently, they try to open a file in all applications and what is the default directory? $HOME. - take advantage of operating system facilities: a user's $HOME is customarily intended to save user data (visible) and per-user application data (hidden) -> FHS. - reduce work: sharing Desktop and $HOME reduces developer and user work to code for two different cases and to decide where to store files. Points against, and short rebuttals: - "My users' desktops will get cluttered!": * so what. That isn't your clutter. - "My desktop will get cluttered": * no it wont. You already have a separate desktop. IF IT DID by odd chance, there are five courses of action: * create a Desktop dir then relogin (see end of e-mail) * change your desktop location via KControl * arrange your clutter in a "Junk to sort" subfolder * live with the clutter (Yay!) * complain to KDE developers and say they're braindead - "Apps put odd files in homedir": * apps should save user data in a visible way (e.g. Mail). Fix braindead apps which don't. * apps should save app data hidden from the user (e.g .mail/indexes). Fix braindead apps. * core files shouldn't appear by default (most distros already do this). * newbies don't have bin/ or tmp/. If you have them, you're not a newbie and you can modify your environment to suit new locations decided by you, or live with them in the desktop. - "But what about the desktop metaphor": * metaphor flawed: a PC's desktop does not contain the limitations of a real desktop. You don't have to bring a document to the desktop to work with it, and doing so would be an unneecssary complication * desktop-used users: They *still see* a desktop. They might find out during their dealings with KDE that the $HOME and the Desktop are the same, and they'll feel good. - "The desktop isn't equal to the homedir" * logical fallacy. Following the logical conclusion to applying this proposal, it would REALLY be equal. Perhaps you need to define more clearly what "really" the desktop is. * that's what we're trying to define, in the first place. IF the desktop should be equal, for newbies, to the homedir. Practical guidance (Desktop=$HOME mini-HOWTO for KDE developers): Set the default Desktop/Documents path to $HOME. Since .kde doesn't contain the old default desktop path, make it so that if Desktop or Documents exist, they are used. If they don't, then $HOME is used. This is perhaps a ten-line code change. That way: * Users who already had configured paths won't be affected. * Users who already have Desktop and Documents directories don't get affected. * Distributors who want to keep using Desktop and homedir separate need only create /etc/skel/Desktop and ship. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<