List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: port of gnome application to kde
From:       Michael Schuerig <schuerig () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-02 21:27:08

On Monday 02 December 2002 15:46, Christian Parpart wrote:

[GnuCash dependency on glib]

> Please, don't just start porting GnuCash. Sometimes it really helps
> reading and understanding the whole source before porting it. Why I
> am saying this is, because this is one way to get rid of glib, design
> GnuCash to a good styles C++ source code, with a well desgin to be
> reused etc.

Consequence: There are two different code bases that are intended to do
the same thing, but have to be maintained individually.

> I personaly love your idea of porting it to KDE since I just don't
> want all these GNOME dependencies on my pc as well as I want a nice
> KDE integrated, easy to use, and future ahead cash application.

Corrollary: Functionality shared between Gnome and KDE can only rely on
the largest common denominator of plain C.

From my point of view, this is disheartening. What's worse, I don't see
a viable solution.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  If at first you don't succeed...
mailto:schuerig@acm.org           try, try again.