List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-30 23:55:44

Andy Fawcett wrote:
 > On Saturday 30 November 2002 01:08, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
 >
 >> I do not like having a desktop full of stuff. However my $HOME is
 >> not empty at all.
 >

 > Thanks for pointing this out Nicolas, some sanity in the thread at
 > last!
 >
 > To put it simply, my home has a kitchen, a bathroom, a bedroom, but
 > my desktop most definitely does not.
 >
 > They are two different things, so I want to keep them separate in my
 > KDE too.

I agree, but ...

 > For those who want ~/ as the location of their desktop, just
 > configure it that way in your KDE. If you want all your users to have
 >  the same, modify the system wide template.
 >
 > But it should not be changed for everyone, when a hell of a lot of
 > people don't want it, are used to it the existing way, and it just
 > causes extra confusion.

I saw many good points in the article, but I did not see why $HOME
should be the Desktop.

However, what I do see is that it is basically stupid to have $HOME be
your working directory with NO way to change this behavior.

That is, (DH) rather than make $HOME the Desktop, I would like to see
the Desktop become the de facto home.  Like you said, you work on your
desktop.  Why should you have to store your files in $HOME? rather than
your Desktop's file folders?

But, if this was configurable, users could decide for them selves how to
set it up.

I also see a standard set of directories -- like the Documents directory
-- as being a good idea.  Just don't call them " my stuff".  If their
location were configurable -- again like the Documents directory --
users could have them wherever they wanted, but the appropriate
application could still use the relevant one for the default working
directory.

--
JRT