List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why was this feature removed?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-30 14:07:12

Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Friday November 29, 2002 03:15, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>You do have to resort to a scalable UniCode font for best results.
>>Nobody said that it had to be proprietary.  I haven't bothered to
>>explore less satisfactory but totally free methods.
>

> And that's the problem here.  In KDE 2, one did not need *any* unicode
> font. One could use a nice, well-made font that was specific to one
> non-unicode encoding.  And you've said twice now that that in order to see
> webpages like Apple's Japanese page in an European KDE 3, one must have a
> Unicode font installed.
>
> That's a loss of functionality.  It's a removal of the ability to use a
> wide selection of fonts.  And it's up to the khtml developers to decide if
> that's OK.

I do NOT think that you need a UniCode font installed.  But, I *do*
think that you need a scalable Japanese font installed.

Kanadata3 is such a font:

http://freefont.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Kandata3.tar.gz

Do you know which Japanese font you were using before?  That appears to
be an important piece of information.

I also have other scalable fonts that contain Japanese but I really
don't know where I obtained them except for CyberBit and StarTrek (which
has Japanese and Chinese)

--
JRT