List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FAM and 3.1rc3
From:       Josef Weidendorfer <Josef.Weidendorfer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-11-30 1:38:01

On Saturday 30 November 2002 01:23, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > See other mail. Configure FAM to only use STAT.
>
> that will stop FAM from firing update events astray?

Yes.

> Odd.  lsof'ing shows FAM with CD-ROM files open

When you play a MP3 with noatun, lsof /dev/dsp shows artsd, and not noatun.
It's the same. FAM is only a service used by other applications, and lsof
shows FAM because the usage of DNOTIFY.

> > > user/system.  On Mandrake, which has supermount, FAM causes horrible
> > > CD-ROM errors (you eject the CD, CD is gulped again, if you manage to
> > > snatch it before the drive closes, you still have /mnt/cdrom listing
> > > files from the CD-ROM which isn't even there anymore).
> >
> > Hmm. Does a STAT of files in unmounted directories make supermount to do
> > a mount?
> > That's bad. This is a problem with KDirWatch (without FAM), too.
> > So KDE *needs* to be aware of unmounting?
> > Should we supply an "umount" wrapper with KDE doing a DCOP broadcast?
>
> no.  This is a FAM problem.  FAM shouldn't block umounting drives,
> ever.  Its purpose is to notify file change, and EVIDENTLY a file
> disappearing because of an umount is a VALID change, in the eyes of
> client applications.

FAM is not influenced by KDE at all. Your distribution can patch it. Not KDE.
And your distribution is responsable for a sane combination of Kernel options,
user level tools, desktop environments...

FAM is an opensource project with SGI as main developer.
The FAM distributed by the SGI opensource page *never* blocks devices. As you
want it ;-)
They keep the DNOTIFY patch separate, as it changes FAM behaviour to the bad.
Ask your distributor why they have patched the original FAM distribution to
use DNOTIFY...
I suppose because features (seeing the growing of files immedialty in konqui)
are more important for a distribution to sale than bug freeness.

> BTW, how does FAM handle security? It just lets anyone ask for a file
> watch?

It compares the user id of the requesting application with the UNIX file
access flags of the files to be watched (and directories leading to that
file). If you can't access a file, you can't watch it. Remotely, it checks
the host.equiv file to be sure that id's are comparable at all among
machines.
I would trust it because of its 10 year history as intregral part of the SGI
magic desktop, thus from a commercial root.