List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FAM and 3.1rc3
From:       Josef Weidendorfer <Josef.Weidendorfer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-11-29 20:07:32

On Friday 29 November 2002 18:26, Manuel Amador wrote:
> El jue, 28-11-2002 a las 18:06, Michael Kreitzer escribió:
> > 'cause it all starts when I click on the shortcuts on my desktop that are
> > URL's for either sftp connections or smb connections.  That's when the
> > fam binary itself starts using 100% CPU... I don't kno wmuch about kde's
> > architecture so I'm sure it could be something else... I'm just fishing
> > for answers.
>
> and it enters a strange tight loop.  All applications which are
> subscribed to the fam instance experiment odd behavior meanwhile.  I
> disabled fam for that reason.
>
> But what bothers me is that, if I do dd if=/dev/zero of=file, and I have
> a konqueror window open, fam provokes a situation in konqueror, where
> konqueror updates a zillion times.  FAM should send update events to
> konqueror at a reasonable pace (half a second maybe?)!  Or maybe the

See other mail. Configure FAM to only use STAT.

> subscribing application should be able to tell it how often it needs to
> know about updates (And the default should still be half a second).

Half a second is way to much when the only solution possible is polling over
NFS. The application would need to check for remote mounts (OK, KDirWatch
already does this). Better let a tool like FAM decide on this.
Aside from that, an application usually always wants events "as fast as
possible". So there's no need for applications to specify any time intervals.
Using a kernel service like dnotify, the make the sense at all.

> And FAM also causes unmountable removable devices.   Even when I've
> closed all Nautilus/Konqueror windows, I can't eject/unmount media
> because FAM insists on keeping track of files in it to see if they've
> changed.  Absurd! FAM should let go when an unmount is triggered by the

That shouldn't happen. When you kill applications doing file watching with
FAM, FAM will see the broken IPC and finish watching of all files for that
application: for dnotify, this means closing the corresponding files. The
watching app can be *every* KDE application using a KFileDialog, for example.
So better shut down KDE :-)

> user/system.  On Mandrake, which has supermount, FAM causes horrible
> CD-ROM errors (you eject the CD, CD is gulped again, if you manage to
> snatch it before the drive closes, you still have /mnt/cdrom listing
> files from the CD-ROM which isn't even there anymore).

Hmm. Does a STAT of files in unmounted directories make supermount to do a
mount?
That's bad. This is a problem with KDirWatch (without FAM), too.
So KDE *needs* to be aware of unmounting?
Should we supply an "umount" wrapper with KDE doing a DCOP broadcast?

Josef