List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: HEAD open for commits
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-29 12:31:02

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>>Whether it is with commercial software or open source software, users do
>>not like to hear that the bug has been fixed (or will be fixed) in the
>>next major release.  They should not hear that.  Major releases are for
>>new features NOT for bug fixes.
>

> no, minor releases are for both bug fixes and feature enhancements. revision
> releases are bug fixes, not features.
>
> (release numbers are major.minor.revision)

Sorry, I don't totally speak UNIX either.

Commercial software is usually: version.major.minor {with letters added
on for revisions}

So, I will try it again:

Whether it is with commercial software or open source software, users do
not like to hear that the bug has been fixed (or will be fixed) in the
next minor release.  They should not hear that.  Minor releases are for
new features NOT for bug fixes.

But my point is that you shouldn't have to wait for the next minor (the
middle number) release for a bug fix.

--
JRT