List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANN: Java and C bindings regenerated for KDE 3.1
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-11-29 1:06:22

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 10:58 pm, Roberto H. Alsina wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26 2002 at 11:04:12pm +0000, Richard Dale wrote:

> > > Fine by me. Please, if it is the same to you, use Library, that is LGPL
> > > v2, and license it under that one, not "under v2 or later".
> >
> > I'd rather use the same COPYING.LIB text that I find in kdelibs -
> > whatever variiant of LGPL we use, surely it's better to have the same
> > one. I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not sure what difference this makes, but I
> > would have thought that it was a good idea to keep the licenses the same
> > throughout KDE - whether GPL or LGPL.
> >
> > -- Richard
>
> Well, the "Lesser" one is even fuller of propaganda and political garbage.
> But yes, if it makes it any simpler, go ahread, just dont put the "any
> later version" language, or you are a hostage of the FSF.
No I disagree with this - all of KDE should have the same sort of licenses
whether GPL or LGPL- if it's good enough for kdelibs, it's good enough for
kdebindings. You're saying 'go ahead', at the same time dictating what seem
to me to be arbitrary restrictions. If you check out the qtc code you'll find
that out of 72000 LOC there is only 300 LOC that you have written (that would
be only useful in a test harness, it isn't called from the qtobjc or qtsharp
code). I have been working on the KDE C bindings in the last week, you last
worked on C bindings five years ago. I am the primary maintainer, and will
remove your code if you are unhappy with the standard LGPL license. But of
course I'm entirely happy to ensure that you get due credit for getting my
work on the bindings bootstrapped via *ideas*, not code.

-- Richard