List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why was this feature removed?
From:       Andrew <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-11-28 13:13:18

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:29 am, Chris Carlen wrote:
> Also, using UTF8 makes havoc upon the console and terminal environments.
>   It is much preferable to use one byte per character data for
> filenames, so that they can be read in the terminals and consoles.  Then
> again, it is simply a matter of choosing a font with the right extended
> character set, and choosing the encoding.

You dont have to have your default encoding for the system set to utf8. Also
consoles and terminal seem to handle it just fine provided you have chosen a
font that *has* that encoding.

As far as I know utf-8 *is* a single byte encoding, I thought that was the
whole point of it.

I came across this stuff a few days ago after I lasted posted to you and have
been playing with it since. It actually works *very well* and I am sure you
will agree after you read the trolltech docs on your computer under i18n. Go
to the qt assistant and type i18n in the look for box and read the section
under "Support for encoding". Once you see what they are doing you will see
that they have created a great little system without the problems that kde2
had.  Sure the whole paradigm is different to kde2 but kde2 was extremely
limited in this regard.

I believe most of the problems you have are setup because I know that the
konsole works fine in this regard. As to the rest, once you understand it
everything is quite simple. No-one says you have to do program listings in
utf8 but even if you did there is no problem. Experiment and I'm sure you
will see all is fine.

--
Regards,
andrew