List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why was this feature removed?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-27 12:36:45

Chris Carlen wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> As I understand this, his problem was that when he switched keyboard
>> encodings that it didn't switch to the other languages characters.
>>
>> But, I tried it and it appears to works correctly.
>

> No James, somehow I have managed to confuse you with my other posts. But
> if you read my more recent replies, I think your perception of my
> situation will converge back to the real problem.  Sorry if I have led
> you astray.  I have tried to respond to as many replies as possible, as
> it seems quite a few people have taken an interest in this, which is a
> great thing.
>
> Please bear with my newer replies, and see what you think about the new
> input I have provided.

I've got it straight (I think :-))

I suggest that you open a new bug for the fact that you get all "?" (and
  " " [blanks]) when you save a file.  While this is a problem with
Klibs::Klocale, it is also necessary for the editors to be able to save
and open files in different 8 bit encodings -- and if (or when) they
support saving in 16 bit, this will need to have a place to turn it off
and on.

Sorry that we couldn't find a quick solution for your problem.

--
JRT