List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why was this feature removed?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () virtualartisans ! com>
Date:       2002-11-27 7:18:24

On 2002. November 27., Wednesday 07:21, Chris Carlen wrote:
> Neil Stevens wrote:
> > If you want multi-lingual filenames with an english KDE, you're going to
> > have to use UTF8, and export KDE_UTF8_FILENAMES=1 before starting KDE.
>
> I will see what this does.
>
> What about text files?  How to get them to display in Thai?
>
> It would just be so simple to have a manual override for the automatic
> character set choosing behavior of QT3.
>
> Thanks for the input.

Have you tried to use the language encoding drop-down box in KWrite? Select
ISO8859-11 or tis620 when you save your file! And if it's not opened
correctly when you re-open this saved file, select the encoding also during
opening!
 In Quanta Plus I made an application-wide setting for encoding, so you don't
have to switch the encoding setting each time in the dialog. You can use also
Quanta for textediting (it uses the same Kate engine as Kate and KWrite),
altough it is not a simple text editor. ;-)

Andras