List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Showstopper??  KHTML
From:       "Dave B." <googleplex () wi ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-11-27 2:14:26

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Please see attached.
>
> As I said, I don't know the cause of this.
>
> I have:
>
> XFree86 4.2.1 from xfree86.org binaries
> GCC 3.2
> FreeType 2.1.2 from source
> FCPackage 2.1 from source (all 4 packages installed)
> KDE_3_1_0_RELEASE from yesterday
> qt-copy HEAD from yesterday
>
> The question is whether this is a KHTML bug or an Xft bug or some
> strange interaction.

Its XFT.

Modify your fonts.conf.  This section is twards the bottom of the file.

<!--
 Artificial oblique for fonts without an italic or oblique version
 -->

        <match target="font">
                <!-- check to see if the font is roman -->
                <test name="slant">
                        <const>roman</const>
                </test>
                <!-- check to see if the pattern requested non-roman -->
                <test target="pattern" name="slant" compare="not_eq">
                        <const>roman</const>
                </test>
                <!-- multiply the matrix to slant the font -->
                <edit name="matrix" mode="assign">
                        <times>
                                <name>matrix</name>

                                </matrix>
                        </times>
                </edit>
                <!-- pretend the font is oblique now -->
                <edit name="slant" mode="assign">
                        <const>oblique</const>
                </edit>
        </match>

        <config>

On yours, the matrix may have the 0's and 1's reversed.  I had this
problem with gentoo's xfs implimentation and this corrected it.

--
Dave B.