List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt, Xft[2], FontConfig, FreeType2
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () virtualartisans ! com>
Date:       2002-11-25 13:33:44

You're lucky. Unfortunately for me it's still a no-go. I've started from
"scatch" and reinstalled the standard X 4.2.0 packages, downloaded the latest
fcpackage and freetype, installed the xft2, fontconfig and freetype2, but no
AA. I've also tried to update Xft1 and XRender from the one which is in
fcpackage, and still no success. Of course, everytime I've recompiled QT, and
yes QT finds the correct XFT2 headers and libs and uses it. I've also tried
to remove the whole dir where were my TTF fonts and reinstall again, but
without any result. Switching back to the xft and freetype supplied with SuSE
8.0 (and recompiling QT again) brought me the needed AA fonts. So this was a
bad experience with the new font tools. BTW, it doesn't even work with
libxft.so.1.2 (from fcpackage), only with libxft.so.1.1. It's also intresting
that now I see Arial in the font list with Xft1 instead of Arial [Monotype]
and friends. This were changing quite often in the past, when I've modified
my settings, added/removed fonts. So for me the working solution is XFree86
4.2.0 (standard), freetype2-2.0.8 package (freetype-config --version gives me
8.0.2). fontconfig 1.0.1 is installed, but apparently not used.

Andras