List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Which version of gcc should I use?
From:       John Gluck <jgluckca () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-11-23 1:37:09

I would concur with Dirk's dianosis.
ESpecially if you try to build the compiler yourself. You should very very
carefully read the compile/build instruction on the gcc web site. It's
different from anything else you'll biuld and install.

Especially if you already have a working gcc and you try to install a new one
"over" the old one, it doesn't quite install over the old one so you can get
left with a bit of a mess.

Then there's the ABI which changed a couple of times for C++ and is the reason
why you need to compile C++ based libs all over again.

Finally, gcc 3.2 is more ANSI compliant and so you can get a bunch of warnings
(most are harmless) about deprecated things like char conversions and header
files. There are also some things that outright become errors especially if
the C++ code is fairly old.

BTW I've been biulding KDE with the gcc 3.X series for quite a while now. Any
problems I've had weren't due to gcc, but my configuration of it (the 1st one
or 2 times I tried to build gcc) or sometimes the kde sources with minor
problems and if not then some old libs that kde didn't like and needed
rebuilding or newer versions.

Right now I have kde3.1rc3 built from sources using gcc3.2 and I'm using kmail
for this. So kde can certainly be built iwth it and surely works. GCC 3.2
does produce slightly faster code than 2.95. I haven't done any serious
benchmark measurements it's noticable enough to make go "Hey cool".

John