List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Off List Message - KDE 3.0 Problem
From:       Manuel Amador <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2002-11-20 16:00:42

Well, it really seems an issue with the kernel. If the kernel is issuing
those messages to syslog, you definitely hit a limit.  Note that it
doesn't say anything about KDE.

KDE 3 does start more processes/threads than KDE 2.

From Kernel Cousin:
the new library is based on an 1-on-1 model. Earlier design documents
stated that an M-on-N implementation was necessary to support a scalable
thread library. This was especially true for the IA-32 and x86-64
platforms since the ABI with respect to threads forces the use of
segment registers and the only way to use those registers was with the
Local Descriptor Table (LDT) data structure of the processor.  The
kernel limitations the earlier designs were based on have been
eliminated as part of this project.

So LDTs are Local Descriptor Tables.  You're running out of LDTs.  I
couldn't find any information on increasing any value (try max threads
with PowerTweak) that will let you scale further.

Or try one of the devel kernels (or maybe not =) )

luck,

   Rudd-O