List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why is KDE so _slow_?
From:       Michael Brade <brade () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-20 10:38:49

> Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > Look, man, I've spent weeks painfully analyzing things. I don't need any
> > expert commentary from people who haven't. Is this a bit arrogant?
>
> Yes, it comes of as very arrogant.
>
> You are in effect saying that you know all about this so you don't need
> anyone else's input.  Don't you want user's input?  And this one knows
> enough that he can give you good answers if you ask questions.
Don't you think _you_ are arrogant? And yes, I definitely think so, here's
why:

> Someone complained about Konqueror being slow to
> start up and I offered the explanation that the delay was due to the
> fact that it did a lot of things before it started up.
with your alleged knowledge stated above you think you gave valuable input to
KDE by saying Konqy does stuff which it shouldn't or which should be delayed.
Well, every tenth user (not even knowing what C++ means) is telling us
exactly this, so it's nothing new and doesn't help much, we know it already.
But that wouldn't be of a problem if you wouldn't insist on it being
new/intelligent/whatever! Which is the reason people responded the way they
did.

Thus, you're completely right with your following statement:
> So, Grant, it appears that the coders know all and they don't want our
> input or ideas about how to improve KDE.
as long as you're acting the way you do ATM.

However, *if* you want to help by actually reading the code first and then
applying your "knowledge" to it by sending patches or the like, then you're
more than welcome!

> Strange, I didn't say anything about the CODE.  My only actual remarks
> were about the DESIGN.  This is a common mistake of beginning CS
> students, they think that knowing a computer language is knowing how to
> write programs, WRONG.
Which is arrogant and insulting most of us developers! Last but not least
because you don't actually know the design, the developers and the way they
work.

And if you want an example of design in KDE, look at KGenericFactory and
friends and then come back again.

> Before you write the code for a program, you
> must DESIGN it.  My only comments were about the design of the programs
> and I used the Linux version of Mozilla for a comparison.  And neither
> you nor Maks seemed at all interested in discussing what I had said.
Now you should know why.

> It is good to know (be told) that I know nothing about computer
> programing.  I did go to college and study EE & CS, but that doesn't
> matter, I guess.  I learned a little about human design factors
> somewhere along the way as well but that is probably useless as well.
>
> But, most relevantly, I learned about how engineers work.  And that is
> what the KDE coders don't seem to know -- they don't know how engineers
> work.  They don't know that brainstorming, arguing about your work,
> explaining your work to others and defending your work to others is part
> of the process of good design.  They, instead, appear to think that
> being arrogant and telling everybody that they know everything and that
> everybody else knows nothing (even when they don't) is the thing to do.
blahblahbla.
Those two paragraphs were the reason I finally had to answer as well. They
show that you know much better how to insult kde developers than how to help
and code. What do you think the KDE Developer Meetings were for?? Write some
code or give _actual_ design improvements to show that you know indeed what
you claim but stop writing this kind of cr**!

Regards,
--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience