List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kdebindings 021118 snapshot
From:       Adam Treat <manyoso () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-11-19 0:31:41

On Monday 18 November 2002 06:49 pm, John Gluck wrote:
> BTW, I'll surf on out and pick up a C# compiler. What's the difference
> between rotor and mono?? I understand mono is a GNU thing and rotor is M$.

Mono is completely free software.  Mono's compiler is written in C#.  Mono's
JIT is much more advanced than Rotor's.  Mono's libraries include preliminary
versions of Microsoft.NET libraries (see non-ECMA) like System.Windows.Forms
and support for ASP.NET and ADO.NET.  Rotor does not have support for these.

BTW, Mono is _not_ a GNU project.  DotGNU is a GNU project and has a CLR/.NET
environment sub-project called Portable.NET.  Some of the key differences
with Portable.NET and Mono:

PNet has a C# compiler written in C that is very fast, but not as complete.
PNet's compiler architecture is meant to provide great support for new CLI
language compilers.  PNet only has an interpreter called ilrun (no JIT) at
this time.  PNet's libraries are not as far along, but one of the goals is
complete ECMA compatibility while Mono's goal is to track Microsoft.NET as
closely as possible.  PNet is also talking with the Perl/Parrot folks about
supporting C# on the next generation Perl runtime.

Hope this helps,

Adam