List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why is KDE so _slow_?
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-17 16:25:31

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 05:08:01PM +0100,Michael Brade wrote:
> On Saturday 16 November 2002 14:59, Roberto H. Alsina wrote:
> > I can't give you numbers because I have ELF prelinking.
> Hmm, that's something I wanted to know for a long time already: where did y> ou
> get ELF prelinking from? I can't find any documentation, there is no prelin> k
> package in Debian testing, there is no man prelink (as Stephan Binner said)>
> and even "apropos prelink" gives nothing. In google I found
>   http://klecker.debian.org/~chris/prelink/
> which says everyting is done but gives no sources.list line. Are you using>
> Debian? If so, what did you do?

Simply get the newest prelink tarball from
ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/prelink . In addition you need glibc
2.3.x -- 2.3.1 out of sid works quite well. prelink only needs
libelf (which is recent enough in sid) and compiles to a statically
linked binary.

Apart from that I wasn't able to prelink a precompiled Qt and apart
from that incremental prelinking didn't work that good I was able to
prelink the whole system including a self-built Qt/KDE. The
difference is noticable. But I for one stopped using it again
because of the problems with the incremental prelinking (although
undoing the changes works perfect and re-prelinking everything again
after that, too, but that can take its time on a slow machine :)

Simon