List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-16 7:41:02

On Thursday 14 November 2002 10:05 pm, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
|  On Thursday 14 November 2002 08:23, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > The most interesting part that you can add such effects to PNG, too.
|  > You just put PNG into SVG wrapper, that's it.
|  > While it would be not perfect, this can be good intermediary solution
|  > until KDE gets reasonable native SVG renderer.
|  > At a moment, KSVG can't handle most of my icons.
|
|  I'm waiting for your patch.

Your flame is absolutely unreasonable here.
I just expressed pure fact: KSVG can't handle SVG files I use for BlueSphere
SVG icons.
Those files are *simple*, created in Sodipodi (which is Open-Source, BTW).
So, unlike some people who use CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for creating
SVG (both are closed-source, and those apps can't be enhanced/fixed by us), I
try to follow "open" development process.
All Open-Source renderers fail to render COrel-generated SVG files, and many
files generated by AI can't be handled, too.

Dom Lachowicz (current maintainer of librsvg2) was able most of bugs I
reported to him(against librsvg-2.1.x) within a week.
It's up to you wether you want to fix bugs in KSVG or not.
And note: it's up to me, as SVG developer, to use KSVG or any other library.
Adding 'K' before SVG doesn't add more value to SVG renderer, IMHO.
SVG rendere/library either can handle valid XML (SVG+XML) or just *can't*.
Nothing personal here.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons