List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why is KDE so _slow_?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-15 20:37:17

Vadim Plessky wrote:

> I have simple and elegant solution for you (no objprelink, etc.)
> ** Disable/remove fonts which you don't use regulary  **
> I would recommend to reduce number of availabel fonts to max.100.
>>From my expereince, every 300 fonts installed add about 1 sec. to Konqueror
> startup time :-(

If this is true, then it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

There is no reason that Konqueror needs to go through the fonts EVERY
time it is started.

If it is necessary to go through the fonts, KDE should do this at startup.

Are KDE and Qt still reading: XftConfig even if you have built them
against FontConfig and XFT2?

NOTE: I think that the solution to some of the speed problem is to have
Konqueror be set up as application that is always running (without a
window open) and then when you "start" it, it just forks off another
instance all ready to go except for startup of the 'part' that it contains.

--
JRT