List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-14 7:08:59

On Thursday 14 November 2002 12:41 am, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
|  On Wednesday 13 November 2002 10:54, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|
|  > So, you will get rendered 15 icons (required by KMail, or 14 icons for
|  > Konq) in about 0.9 sec.  (and this implementation is in *software*,
|  > hardware-assited rendering canbe faster by a factor of 100x)
|  > Which is *ok*, as Konq's startup time is about 3 sec., and Kmail starts
|  > even slower.
|
|  15 icons in one second is damn slow. How did you count them for konqy ?

I counted all icons in toolbar. There are 15 of them.
I think "Print Frame" should be removed (from default setup), as it's rarely
used.

|  Did you count all the icons in the menus ? In all toolbars ? All actions ?
| All dialogs ? (I guess in konqy there are not many dialogs created on
| startup) I guess it will be more something like at least 50 icons.

Do you have menu open when Konq starts? I doubt it.
You immediately see just 15 icons.

Anyway, as we discussed before, SVGs can be pre-rendered.
I think it can be some kind of post-install script.
I doubt that all 800 icons should be pre-rendered, but 100 of most-often used
should/can be pre-rendered (and cached)

Besides, hardware acceleration would help, too.
But it would require from user XF 4.3.0, or 4.2.0 with Xr/Xc insatlled on top
of it (as separate packages)

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons