List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Roger Larsson <roger.larsson () norran ! net>
Date:       2002-11-13 18:51:37

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 18.38, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 November 2002 6:29 pm, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> |
> |  And I don't think that hardware accelaration in SVG drawing will bring
the
> |  speedup for 16x16 icons ;-)
>
> Hardware acceleration would speed up *everything*.
> I think th eonly limit would be file access speed, so may be you would want
> inline all icons in source code, or pre-fetch (parsed) SVG file.

I do not think you really want to do that...
1) Harder to reuse between application
2) Almost impossible to get good performance with icon themes (you do like
    to keep that feature don't you?)

It really depends on where the time is lost.
a) First read?
b) Any read?
c) Rendering to HW format?
d) The actual screen drawing?

Caching at c) would speed things up especially if it was made with
a central (per user) server. But I guess that the cache have to be
quite smart. It should not throw out all commonly used icons when
you open your photo directory...
It would also be nice if you could set a limit on how much memory to use.
BTW what is the graphic board memory used for nowadays (in addition to
this the boards can access main memory themselves, do they auto cache?)

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteċ