List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: svg crystal?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-13 9:54:06

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 3:59 am, Maks Orlovich wrote:
|  Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > On Tuesday 12 November 2002 10:46 pm, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
|  > |  On Tuesday 12 November 2002 18:25, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
|  > |  > As far as I know, the base for Crystal are SVG pictures. But KDE
|  > |  > still can nly use PNG icons.
|  > |  >
|  > |  > Have a nice day/evening/night!
|  > |
|  > |  No, we can also render SVGs since quite some months :)
|  > |  We prerender the icons and commit the generated ones, for
|  > |  speed reasons. (PNG loading is faster than SVG rendering...).
|  >
|  > I believe it's possible to reduce this gap.
|  > I don't know what is typical time to load PNG, but good SVG icon can be
|  > rendered in less than 0.5 sec.
|
|  Which means it's unusable, as you need to load about 5-10 icons per a
| menu, not to mention the toolbars. I *hope* you're wrong.

Sorry, I has been mistaken by factor of 10x.

[vad@VPlessky Blue-Sphere]$ test-performance arrow-right.svg
File 'arrow-right.svg'
Scaling took 0.061831(s)
[vad@VPlessky Blue-Sphere]$ test-performance arrow-right.svg
File 'arrow-right.svg'
Scaling took 0.0620885(s)

So, you will get rendered 15 icons (required by KMail, or 14 icons for Konq)
in about 0.9 sec.  (and this implementation is in *software*, hardware-assited
rendering canbe faster by a factor of 100x)
Which is *ok*, as Konq's startup time is about 3 sec., and Kmail starts even
slower.

If KSVG renders slower than this - KSVG should be fixed. No point to blaim SVG
standard here.
Besides:  I believe non-XML SVG drawings (SVG-like data structure) can be
rendered even faster, as such format doesn't require parsing XML and building
DOM tree.

|  For perspective In startup times, we're talking about times in
| milliseconds being something to be eliminated. And before demand-load, the
| time to load PNG icons was unaccpetable - roughly a quarter of startup time
| for app like Konqueror. And a non-trivial portion of that concerns
| image->pixmap conversions, too. (Althugh granted, a lot is in libpng, and
| disk I/O).

You mean, decompressing zip'ed PNG image into pixmap?
Does libpng/qt use MMX (or 3DNow, or SSE) instructions to speed up this
process?

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons