List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Active objects, threads, signals & slots
From:       Michael Schuerig <schuerig () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-05 23:13:30

I'm dealing with a library where calls can take some time (reading data
from a mobile phone) and I need to poll in and endless loop (waiting
for incoming SMS messages).

I would like to encapsulate this nicely and my favorite means would be
an active object that has its own thread and can communicate with other
objects by signals in both directions. Signalling would have to be
synchronized with the main Qt event loop, as far as I understand it;
actually, that's all I know about the event loop. I haven't found a
class in Qt or KDE that does this or something similar.

I'd like it best, if there already was something ready for use, but if
there is not, I might look into writing such a thing myself.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  If at first you don't succeed...
mailto:schuerig@acm.org           try, try again.