List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Experiences  with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo
From:       Rolf Dubitzky <dubitzky () pktw06 ! phy ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-11-04 17:20:28

On Monday 04 November 2002 06:57 pm, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> The request is for a initial configuration (when the base system is
> installed) and the continued maintainance/repair/re-configuration etc.

We have some batch clusters here and also desktops with KDE, Gnome, anf fvwm.
The unix way to administer multiple mashines are scripts or tools like
cfengine. KDE is _easily_ managable on 100 mashines with 100 users and
something like cfengine and a clear separation between system setting/menues
and user setting menues. Unix/Linux was multiuser from the beginning, I don't
understand why somebody should suddenly have problems with many systems. If
the only reason is, that they migrated from windows and don't know the unix
way, it is surely worth to learn it. Why should I want to save my preferences
in a database? I just have a few files in my $HOME. This system is proven to
work and to scale.

Cheers,
Rolf