List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: BlueCurve installation
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-11-03 7:22:21

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

>>>You are likely missing rpath, but if Bluecurve is provided binary you
>>>can't change that. Instead set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/kde3/lib. (remember to
>>>also include the path to qt)
>>
>>I wish that I really understood this stuff.
>

> The dynamic linker (ld.so) has to know where to look for shared objects. It
> does so by reading the paths in /etc/ld.so.conf. And that's where the file
> must lie, or they won't be found.
>
> There are other ways of telling ld.so where to find files. One is through the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable and another is through an RPATH record
> in the ELF header of the file.
>
> Your problem is that /usr/kde3/lib isn't in your /etc/ld.so.conf and that
> kwin_bluecurve.so doesn't have an RPATH for that, while kwin_cde.so does.

Yes, "/usr/kde3/lib" is in my: "ld.so.conf" file and that is why I am
puzzled.

Also please note:

[root@localhost kde3]# ldconfig -v | grep kwin
[root@localhost kde3]#

That is correct, nothing.  Very odd but this explains why it wasn't found.

And as you said, it isn't found through the RPATH which points to:
"/usr/lib".

Any who, I did get it built from the SRPM and installed.

--
JRT