List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The Pure KDE Desktop
From:       Fred Malabre <fmalabre () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-10-17 4:18:48

I'm surprised nobody followed up on this, but Socrate brought a good point.
Big companies such as Sun and Redhat chose to suport Gnome.
We may ask ourself why is that? How come big companies don't support KDE?
There are more users of KDE than Gnome (I think, tell me if I'm wrong).
KDE is built on a good architecture, and is now very open (everything in GPL).

Now, let's try to understand what's the plan for a company like Sun for Gnome?
The future of a desktop on commercial platform (ie Solaris, ...) is certainly
to built commercial applications integrated in the desktop.
If such a company goes with KDE, they would have to buy Qt, because Qt is not
released under the LGPL.
I personaly believe it's fair enough, because Troltech did such a good job on
this library.
Now, a big company like Sun doesn't want to depend on another company to sell
their software. And this I understand.
And I also believe IBM will not choose KDE for the same reasons. Especially
because IBM made the mistake once with
Microsoft already.

The bottom line is: a free desktop will probably need commercial applications
to survive!

Well, I don't know now otherwiseif I've got the whole picture right, but I
think it is. Let me k.

Fred.