List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The Pure KDE Desktop
From:       "Luke Chatburn" <lchatburn () isset ! org>
Date:       2002-10-13 15:32:33

Hi Chris...

The thing is, though, Macs cost quite a lot more than an x86 machine. People
buy them because:

- They want a pretty box
- They want to use OS 9/OSX (and certain Mac apps)

And no matter the benchmarks from a few photoshop filter tests, modern x86
machines will spank Macs in performance terms.

As a home user, I do think that Jaguar at $129 is expensive for a bug fix
release; granted, it does add a few features, but those are things like
springloaded folders, which should have been in OSX but weren't finished :-/

In anything other than a small business, it is hard to put a case for
non-x86 desktop hardware, unless you are looking at something dramatically
more powerful and expensive.

If you wish to run Linux on such at platform, by all means, feel free to
try, but be aware that the proportion of people brought their Mac so they
can run OSX. To be honest, in hardware terms, the modern Mac is increasingly
like a modern PC. The motherboard is different, and you need a modified
video card in many cases, with the display adapter, but other hardware is
identical. It bears the same chance of failure as an equivalent PC. Which
leaves you paying for the box and the OS.

Mandrake do quite a lot of custom packages for their PPC versions, and
things through the MandrakeClub, which allow you to request an rpm, and they
will do it, and apparently this is finding good reviews with Mac users. As
it stands, though, Mac users are a tiny proportion of their overall
userbase, and they can't focus 50%+ of their development time on it. That
would probably be the only thing that might truly suit what you said about
putting all effort possible into the ppc platform.

However, that said, Mandrake and Yellow Dog seem to generally run very well
on Macs, and most users have a good experience, without your hardware
problems, which in fairness, is due to the newness of your iBook.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but Linux on Macs is always going to lag behind x86
release qualities, especially when hardware changes. You just have to wait
and see, really. It's not anyone's fault, it's not because they aren't
putting reasonable effort in, and as with x86 distros, things will keep on
improving over time, but it is a case of waiting, I'm afraid.

-Luke