List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The Pure KDE Desktop
From:       Méher_Khiari <kmeher () hotpop ! com>
Date:       2002-10-12 14:20:03

Hi Steve
I share the same idea as.
I am just asking when linux will have a common GUI for all and when the applications \
will be unified for this GUI ? But, we can see now that this is very difficult to \
make for one reason : The number of layers we have to pass is great to get the UI : \
X+QT+KDE (for K) and X+GTK+GNOME (for GNOME).

When will we really get a UI that connects directly to the kernel (not passing by the \
X server or whatever) ?

I give an example of why we are so different in UI's :
I have a K6-2 266 with 128 Mb and when I want to create an app, I will create it \
directly with the libraries of X directly because I want to eliminate the overhead of \
QT or whatever. My friend have an Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 Mb of RAM, it will develop \
an app for KDE directly.

When I tell to someone that I have a k6-2 266, it tells me that the graphics won't \
work because of the slow of my CPU. But I am running a Windows 2000 perfectly.

Also the major part of the applications for linux are a port from the console mode so \
the interface isn't the greatest problem. So any library is used (and this differs \
from one to one likes).

Another tip, if we give all control for one desktop it will get the monopole and we \
will not have the same battle for the developpement as we know.

Something else tosay is that you have choosen KDE, the other will say that GNOME is \
more sophisticated !!

I am not against the fact of unifying the UI's, but the things, as they go actually, \
are not the best environnement for a unified UI.

conclusion :
If you want a unified UI you have to get rid of all libraries that exists because \
they will give the opportunity for the developpers to continue developping for this \
library or other.

Bye

NB : excuse my bad english. (and don't scream please !! :)