List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: keramik flat toolbars patch
From:       Julien Olivier <julo () altern ! org>
Date:       2002-10-07 13:26:11

> >> If these were to be removed (which I don't think they should), this is
> >> not the proper solution. You're drawing bogus 'flat' pixmaps on the
> >> toolbars for no need.
> >
> >In fact, I just didn't want to send a wish and hear in return "implement
> > it yourself" :) That's why I made this little patch: it's simple to
> > understand what it does and it doesn't break the whole code. More over, I
> > didn't want to lose hours to make a good patch just to hear in return "I
> > don't think the wavy effect should be removed". So, if you don't want the
> > wavy effect to be removed, just ignore the patch. Else, if you tell me
> > that's a good idea, I'll find a better way to implement it and re-submit
> > my patch.
>
> The artwork for Keramik was actually done by a KDE artist (aka qwertz), so
> the 'wave' effect was his decision I believe. If the majority of people
> dislike this effect, we can remove it. I have expressed my opinion, now
> lets wait for some others.

I agree that look is a matter of taste. That's why I posted this patch and a
former patch I made for keramik on kde-look.org. This patch received some
comments while the former didn't.
You can have a look at them on the following links:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=3371
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=3268

Before sending my patch the the list, I've asked some non-techinical friends
of mine and to my girlfriend to tell me which effect they prefered and they
all picked the flat one. That's the reason why I sent this patch. Though,
they might be influenced by the way things are nowadays. I mean that WinXP
and MacOSX both have flat toolbars and that might the reason why some users
want it in KDE...

BTW the first patch I made ("Keramik Old Style Toolbars" in kde-look.org) was
not appreciated as much as the new one by the same people.

Now, I admit that my poll's audience was quite limited.

--
Julien Olivier