List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Window sizing/layout
From:       Jay Cornwall <jay () evilrealms ! net>
Date:       2002-09-25 18:24:27

Hi

I'm having a few problems getting the window layout of my KDE application
(Kiowa) right, and hoped some of you might be able to shed some light on
this.

I have a KDialog in my program which displays fine normally. An example
screenshot is:
  http://www.evilrealms.net/misc/statistics-1.png

The problem arose when I tried it with a translation, using longer strings for
the tabs at the top. Ideally the window would expand to allow for the longer
strings, but instead it does this:
  http://www.evilrealms.net/misc/statistics-3.png

This is quite inconvenient for the user, and having a wider window is much
more preferable (it's a fairly small dialog, anyway). But how can I control
this from the application, and stop KDE from adding scroll arrows?

If this was a KDE "feature" (saving screen space is good, I suppose), I guess
it wouldn't be so bad. But try widening the listview columns, and see what
happens:
  http://www.evilrealms.net/misc/statistics-2.png

No scrollbar, and the window becomes wider. Why is it different in this case?

KDE some seem to be a little inconsistent in this respect. With an application
like KSysV it's important that the window is full-width, or you can't drag
services to the higher runlevels - but instead KDE adds scrollbars, making it
useless without resizing the window.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jay