List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re:  UnitedLinux and the 'closed beta'
From:       Jason Harris <jharris () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2002-09-24 15:35:35

Roberto Alsina wrote:
> The GPL can not prevent people from entering into agreements other than
> the GPL. It can not forbid you from promising not to exercise your rights.

I think it can.  The GPL says that you can only redistribute GPL code *if* you
give the recipients of the code the same rights you were given.  If you do
not, then you are de facto refusing to accept the GPL.  In that case, the
code's license reverts to standard copyright law, which says you have
absolutely no right to distribute the code at all.

So yes, UL can ask people not to exercise heir rights under the GPL, but doing
so is itself a violation of the GPL's terms, and therefore nullifies their
legal right to distribute the code.

Jason
--
Jason Harris