List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-devel digest, Vol 1 #4081 - 14 msgs
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2002-09-22 19:29:46

On Sunday 22 September 2002 19:44, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sunday 22 September 2002 07:46 am, Klas Kalass wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes. It's just that single-click should mean "select that file for
> > > further action", not "select that file and open it" (two actions).
> >
> > That makes sense when you are really about to select a file, especially
> > if it is shown in a list (i.e. file selector in save/open dialog). But as
> > soon as you want to "work with" that program which is linked on your
> > desktop or if you want to "work with" a file which is displayed as an
> > icon or as a small picture of its contents in your folder-view this makes
> > no sense any more. Because you click on the corresponding icon it is
> > ultimately clear which program/document is meant. And if I want to do
> > something else than work with it, this special action should be the one
> > that has some special representation in the interaction (i.e. clicking
> > with the right mouse button or holding down a key).
>
> I'm considering more and more to add a "selection icon". When you click it,
> you enter selection mode and all files that you click on will be selected
> only, just as if you ctrl-clicked.

How about (when in icon view) clicking on the filename selects/deselects
(toggle) whereas clicking on the icon causes the normal open/view/whatever
action.

Or perhaps the other way around to be more in line with clicking on URL's
when web browsing.

Maybe use that in conjunction with your (Waldo) idea for a "selection icon".
If the selection icon is, well, selected, then the dual
icon->open/filename->select mode would be in operation. This gives the best
of both worlds.

Or go the whole hog and have 4 options from a drop down selection icon.

1) icon or text selects only
2) icon or text opens only
3) icon selects, filename opens
4) icon opens, filename selects

Then again, the toolbars are quite crowded sometimes and most people would
stick to a preferred option, so perhaps a choice in the File Manager ->
Behaviour control centre module would be better.

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean McGlynn